Basic Crafting Kit for Big Ones and Small Ones

My first entry is going to be about various materials and tools, which are part of the basic kit that should be in your inventory (yes, yes, I know - it’s been a week and there’s still no decent tutorial – forgive me but I need some time to set everything right). They will be used in many of my tutorials. I bet that after you screen that list, you’ll see that most of them you already have close at hand :).

If you’re a kid, you’ve got younger sister, brother or your own children, those things are within easy reach :). I’m not in any of those situations but most of the materials presented here are from my childhood days or my sister’s school years – in my opinion, those things can turn out useful in the future so I never throw them away.  I have a special box for them, maybe you should have one too?

1. „School” tools – they are in the equipment of every diligent primary school student and are used every day:

Scissors – present in every single house I suppose; used for cutting almost all types of paper; depending on hardness of the material and complexity of the shape we want to cut, I recommend to equip yourself in various sizes of scissors:
  • big – convenient while cutting hard paper (like cardboard or Bristol paper) and for long, straight segments,
  • medium – for soft paper (tissue paper, inkjet paper, construction paper) and not very complicated shapes,
  • small – nail scissors with a curved edge; best for cutting very complicated shapes, they are able to cut even the hardest paper and fabric,
  • shears – school scissors are really bad for cutting fabric, so I suggest to buy a pair of shears to avoid the frustration caused by using blunt school scissors.
Glue – well, for sticking things together:
  • school glue stick -  perfect for gluing paper, washable and fast drying,
  • white glue – for sticking pieces of various materials together – paper with wood, wood with wood, wood with plastic, paper/wood with fabric or wool; universal, waterproof, easy to wash, freeze proof and transparent when fully dried
  • wallpaper adhesive  - useful while making paper mâché
  • border adhesive – the best for gluing wallpaper with wood or cardboard
  • silicone adhesive – useful for gluing glass and metal elements, recommended for use by adults
  • cyanoacrylate-based glues (e.g. Super Glue) – fast acting and very strong adhesive, used for gluing small elements of all kinds; toxic, difficult to wash, definitely NOT recommended for children
Ruler, protractor, compass and setsquare – for measuring sections, angles, parallel lines etc.
Markers, crayons, fineliners – for bolding the lines, marking and drawing details
Pens and pencils – for sketches, tracing, marking, making notes etc.
Tape – one and double-sided;  the most important advantage of a double sided tape is that it doesn’t deform paper like adhesives containing water, however one should be very precise while using it, because it’s very strong and it’s impossible to make corrections without crumpling the paper
Eraser and pencil sharpener – for corrections and sharpening pencils
Paper knife – used for cutting thick paper, where scissors could damage its structure and crumple it (for example cardboard), it also allows you to cut complicated shapes
Paintbrushes - all types of big and small paintbrushes, additionally – two for glue (one bigger, one smaller)
Needles and thread – for sewing fabrics together, also with paper and making small holes
Toothpick, skewer and ear stick – they are used for applying small amount of adhesive and cleaning small stains
Chalk – for drawing on dark, black materials, where pen or pencil are invisible


2. Paper  - personally, I think that everything what is made of paper is usable - I mean not only special pads (of drawing, construction and millimeter paper) and color paper (tissue paper, crepe paper), but also all kinds of wallpapers, tissues, toilet paper, newspapers, old cardboard boxes, wrapping paper, gift paper, paper towels, lunch paper bags etc. I also have a notebook with me for making notes, calculations and conversions.



3. Trinkets, ornaments, scraps – I’ve been collecting those things for years and I know that each of them will get a „second chance” some day;  buttons, beads, fabric scraps, feathers, sequins, ribbons, laces, nutshells, ornaments from bouquets (my mum is a teacher, so from time to time she brings tons of flowers), dried flowers and leaves, chains, glitter, stickers, old eye shadows, chestnuts, acorns, shells, stones… these are only some of them. Many of those things you can find in your neighborhood, and some of them are completely for free! And you won’t believe how many things people lose on the street! In my collection I have some wooden ladybugs, kitties, flowers, that probably were elements of a hair tie, lost earrings, bracelets, small pendants… You should look at the ground! 

4. Other useful tools:
           bottle with a sprayer top
           paint
           transparent nail polish
           wires of various diameter
           embroidery floss
           puncher and stapler
           strings and shoelaces
           yarn, wool, cotton wool
           zippers and springs
           crochet hooks and knitting needles
           needles and pins


I know very well that I’m not able to list everything, because I figure out materials and methods as I work on a new project. But maybe this list will induce you to collecting various materials. You have to start somewhere :).

 Next week:  A vernal hair accessory, or my very first tutorial!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment